Monday, October 23, 2006

Diwali snapshots

I like Diwali, but i also feel it's quite boring for anyone over the age of 12. In fact, for the last few years I have been an active Diwali-disliker. Oh never mind the reasons... there's never a dearth of them.
Anyway, this year i decided to use the camera and take pictures through the day and evaluate later how the day had been. Here are the pics... you decide.
Diwali or no Diwali... the day starts with cha. Ma, me, sis - like our mugs heavy and blue. Pa - prefers the ungainly white

My beautiful neighbourhood. Afghan Church - as gorgeous and graceful as ever. Always a delight to behold

Rangoli is mandatory on Diwali, but honestly it's no fun anymore since sis and I no longer fight over it. Guess who did this one... :-)

Another mandatory Diwali-thing... colored lights in the balcony. Everyone seems to have them. And in spite of the lack of coordination/ rhythm, it's all pretty

Another tradition. Like millions of home everywhere, diyas light up ours too. A fire hazard? Yes, but we're brave Indians, remember?

By the evening, one needs to get out of home. So with a few basics, sis and I set out to check out the sights and sounds around Colaba

What did we ever do before cell phones? People say i'm married to mine. I wonder what makes them think like that. I think i'm married to the Internet :-)

And what did we do before coffee shops? The big levelers, the bringer-togethers, the quasi-homes. Seen here - sis (3rd from left, in maroon kurta), and three other strangers. In the foreground - the strap of my beloved green silk potli bag (see prev pic)

* * *

Anyway, so that was what my Diwali was like... a bit of the old, a bit of the new. Overall, an ok Diwali. In spite of being quite tired of the entire rigmarole, I did my bit towards spreading the warmth and love.

Everyone did, i suppose...

3 Reasons to smile:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely pictures these are... the art of making ordinary look special is the art called photography! delightful is one word to describe these... one can identify with these and that makes the pictures more special.

October 29, 2006 at 9:46 AM  
Blogger Pixychik said...

thanks, rhfactor.

November 7, 2006 at 8:23 PM  
Blogger justme said...

everything i read on this space really gives me a 'reason to smile"

looking forward to more

December 17, 2006 at 10:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home