Monday, April 02, 2007

Notes from away

People everywhere are essentially the same. They have the same dreams, worries, fears and reasons to smile. Everyone wants to be loved, dreams of finding the 'right' man/ woman who will bring a lifetime of happiness and joy into their lives, of having enough money to have a comfortable life and of always being connected with whatever is important to them - family, friends, art, places, sex.

Those essential similarities apart, cultural differences are mind boggling. I see here that the idea of roughing it out means traveling without a hair-dryer/iron. And that casual hook-ups are a way of life. And that not many give two hoots about being politically correct, sensitive or considerate. It is pretty much I centric. Whether i think that's right or wrong is not important, it is just different and am glad am getting to see that.

I realize that under the surface we are all racists in our own ways. At least until we know people slightly well, we judge (regardless of whether it's a appreciative judgment or derogatry) them by their ethnicities. At least, I do. I have an opinion on Americans (my sis knows it), on Europeans, esp the English (my boss knows it) and on Asians, Indians, Chinese, Blacks. Anshu knows those, being my co-traveller and the listener of my ramblings sometimes.

I realize i love the sound of the words 'home' and 'mom'. I'm not in exile, i have gone away on my own free will, and after much much longing, dreaming and planning. And yet, with more than half the trip stretching ahead of me, i am homesick too.

I've learnt that S was right - my work and my role at work to a large part shapes my sense of identity and pride. I don't know if that's good or bad... just that it is like that only. I think it's inevitable. Ansh is a designer, so wherever we go, she notices fashion, window display styles and architecture. I find myself instinctively noticing brands, banks, advertising firms. (Psst.. AC Neilsen has a huge office at Oxford, and Publicis at Champs Elyeese)

While on brands - so far i see that there is only one brand when it comes to shoes : Nike. It's either Nike or some unknown fashion brand. And i say this after observations with a stastically viable sample size. When it comes to bags, its Jansport. And i used to look down on Jansport as a wannabe brand. :-)

I'm learning that how i feel about people, is how i decide i want to feel about them.

When I see how dispensable i am to the social and professional circles i consider myself an important part of, I feel very humbled but also very lonely.

I like the fact that i always travel light and have only a few necessary things. On this trip though I think i've overdone the light travel bit and find myself wearing the same stuff more often than i like.

It is so ironic... I find myself conversing in Punjabi with more people here in Spain, than i have ever conversed with in my whole life in India. They tell me about their lives here away from India, how and why they moved, the cost of living here and about the need to be very careful while taveling in these cities. Their smiles reach their eyes and their concern seems genuine. They give us discounts, free coffee and free advice.
Sometimes when you are hurting or hungry or lonely, you don't even realize how bad it is until you find a caring friend, a meagre meal and someone to talk to (respectively).

Anshu and i were laughing last evening, about how our friends and folks back home expect that we will return transformed. Boss asked me yesterday - are you enjoying yourself? Are you writing? Is you mind expanding? My answers were yes, yes and ummmm... i really don't know.

I'm learning many things... but is my mind expanding? How do i figure that one out?

3 Reasons to smile:

Blogger Jackson said...

So you finally found some time to blog again? :P Is Europe that boring? Just kidding ^^

It seems your mind has already been expanding.. Thinking about new things, seeing things in a different perspective. Not just gaining knowledge, but knowing how that knowledge affects you, that is expanding your brain.

At least, that's how I'd like to see it. Perhaps giving your own interpretation to it will expand your brain as well :)

April 4, 2007 at 3:41 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

is your mind expanding??
i hope not... i already find it too difficult to match.:-D

p.s - special request - write about your observations of the europeans... what you think about them.. compare if possible wit the americans and indians...

April 7, 2007 at 8:49 PM  
Blogger Shobha said...

Hey there , I liked reading what you have to say. I don't know about expanding but what I've heard is the brain is like any other muscle, the more we exercise it, the stronger it becomes .. so I'd say you have one sharp brain working up there :-)

April 23, 2007 at 10:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home